Tent Permits are reviewed and inspected by the Aspen Fire Protection District and are required for any temporary tent, canopy or membrane structure larger than 400 square feet.
Tent Permit Applications:
Although Tent Permits are under the Fire District’s authority, tent permits are issued through the City, if within city limits, or Pitkin County, if within the county.
To Apply for a Tent Permit, please go to one of the following links.
City of Aspen: https://www.cityofaspen.com/236/Permits
Pitkin County: https://pitkincounty.com/1097/Special-Events
(Note: Additional permits may be required by Pitkin County. Contact Pitkin County Community Development for more information regarding permitting and tent inspections.)
Permit Exemptions for Tents, Canopies and Membrane Structures:
- Tents used exclusively for recreational camping purposes
- Fabric canopies that are open on all sides and comply with the following:
Less than 700 square feet
Total area of multiple canopies together (less than 12 feet apart) is less than 700 square feet total
Minimum clearance of 12 feet to all structures and other tents
Tent inspections are usually set up by the company responsible for the structure. If you do not have a tent contractor, you will need to make sure your tent structures are inspected.
Tent inspections are scheduled through the Aspen Fire Protection District. Inspections must take place before the event, but after the tent is set up.
For tents located within the Pitkin County limits, an additional inspection is required by Pitkin County. The county inspection request can be submitted online through: https://www.pitkincounty.com/204/Inspections, or by calling 970-920-5532.
INTERNATIONAL FIRE CODE 2015
TEMPORARY TENTS, CANOPIES AND MEMBRANE STRUCTURES
3103.1 General. Tents and membrane structures used for temporary periods shall comply with this section. Other temporary structures erected for a period of 180 days or less shall comply with the International Building Code.
3103.2 Approval required. Tents and membrane structures having an area in excess of 400 square feet (37 m2) shall not be erected, operated or maintained for any purpose without first obtaining a permit and approval from the fire code official.
- Tents used exclusively for recreational camping purposes.
- Tents open on all sides which comply with all three of the following:
- Individual tents having a maximum size of 700 square feet (65 m2).
- The aggregate area of multiple tents placed side by side without a fire break clearance of 12 feet (3658 mm), not exceeding 700 square feet (65 m2) total.
- A minimum clearance of 12 feet (3658 mm) to all structures and other tents.